Question: When is the best age for a person to start planning for retirement? 35? 45? 50? Guess?
Correct answer: The best age / time is the day you start your first job and get your first pay cheque / salary.
Question: When is the best time to start job hunting, after you join the MBA program?
Correct answer: From the first day of the MBA program!!!
What can one do to work towards secure the dream job after the MBA program?
- Get your business cards printed - even if it as an MBA student (please feel free to copy from my business card from a post below) and hand them out like candy on Halloween. :)
- Develop your professional resume
- Develop your online identity. Keep it clean, impressive and strong.
- Build profiles on LinkedIn (http://www.linkedin.com/), Twitter (http://twitter.com/), Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/).
- Also, Workopolis (http://www.workopolis.com/EN/Common/HomePage.aspx), Monster (http://www.monster.ca/) and other useful sites.
- Develop social contacts
- Develop professional contacts (network!, network!, network!)
- Make a list of your dream companies (employers) and dream jobs
- Keep in touch with the Career Service Department of TRSM.
- Attend the career counseling sessions organized from time to time
- Keep track on job openings (through personal research) and keep applying for the jobs as and when you see vacancies (it is never early enough, as some applications take a long time to process and some resumes stay in the database of companies for a year or more)
- Become a member of professional organizations
- Attend the workshops, seminars, guest lectures organized from time to time at TRSM.
- When is doubt, ask! (classmates, profs, staff).