There are some MBAs who are unable to leverage the knowledge or the degree gained by them and maximize their potential. However, there are exceptional people who are able to rise above their peers / rise above the rest of the competition and excel in the business world. What makes them different? My guess is as below:
- Networking / Networks: Key is success sometimes is not WHAT you know, but WHO you know.
- Preparation + Timing / luck / coincidence: Being at the right place at the right time. But again, we have heard of the adage "Success is nothing but preparation meeting opportunity"
- Differentiation: In strategy, we learnt of cost & differentiation as 2 useful ways to gain competitive advantage. One can differentiate himself by gaining additional qualities of value like additional training, skill sets and knowledge.
- Hard work & persistence: It pays to cast a wider net, to keep on trying until you reach the level you want to reach.
- Discipline and focus: Take the bullet approach and not the spray gun approach to achieve results.
- Constant assessment and re-assessment: Make sure that you are on the right track. Evaluate yourself constantly. Improve yourself constantly.
- Proper resources: Using the right job search tools,
- Use of the internet and Social Media - enough said.