Monday, December 19, 2011

After MBA, what next??? PhD? Teaching? Research? Consulting? Own business? Employment?

After MBA graduation, what next???
I would love to do my PhD after MBA. I am game for it. But I hear that I shall have to be involved in it so much so that I shall not be able to hold a job while pursuing PhD. One does not make much while doing the PhD itself. A doctoral certificate gives Master Degree holders a stamp of respectability and acceptance in the scholarly circles. People can go into consulting positions and be considered Gurus in their fields. People with PhDs may be welcomed on the Board Of Director positions. But getting a PhD involves making some sacrifices - and that includes giving up on high earnings while pursuing it. I hear that getting it can take anywhere from 2 years to 6 years. So one has to have a LOT of patience!

Regarding teaching - I LOVE teaching and I think I shall make a good teacher. However, my immediate priorities are to get into the job market and make some money to fulfill some immediate needs plus find a life partner & settle down, etc. In Canada, one must have a PhD (preferably) in order to be able to teach Masters students. It shall take a few years to get a PhD if I decide to go for one. I could teach MBA students in India, Middle East and some other regions even with my MBA, if I pick some subject like Strategy and develop expertise in it.

What I can do is take up courses offered by other schools and keep updating my knowledge constantly. I shall consider a DAM (Post-MBA Diploma in Advanced Management) from Schulich School of Business, York University after my MBA. Shall also consider courses in six sigma, Kaizen, TPS and so on from other schools.

One thing that most famous people do and I shall want to do this in the future too are all these together (and I would like to do the same, someday):
  • Consulting
  • Research
  • Public Speaking
  • Teaching &
  • Practice

No comments: