How to build a personal career portfolio:
- Decide on the format.
- Spend some time deciding on a presentation binder to put it in.
- Look at your skills.
- Look at yourself the way prospective employer would look at you.
- Choose items to show that showcase your skills.
- Choose work samples that are relevant to the job you're seeking.
- Think ahead about how much time is likely to be spent on a particular item.
- Customize your portfolio to a job description.
- Help you to prepare for interviews.
- Help you to prove that you are capable of what you say you are.
- To communicate clearly by allowing you to focus during your interview through the use of the portfolio.
- Demonstrate the results of your work (with screen shots and examples of your work.)
- Get you in the habit of documenting your work for that time in the future when you are job hunting, or maybe trying for that higher position, or even proving that you are a valuable member of the team).
- Helps you to create a personal database to facilitate the creation of a resume, as well as your portfolio.
- Allows you to assess your own progress in your development.