Saturday, April 14, 2012

Be yourself or be what others want you to be? I say "JUST BE YOURSELF" Only, try to become a BETTER version of yourself.

I have had some experiences in the program where I felt there was some tension now and then, here and there. Do not want to go into details. But the bottom line is this - I am originally from East India. Although I am now a Canadian citizen, I shall always be Indian at heart. Ok, I am an Indo-Canadian now.

I am expected to fit into the North American mould, true. But just by wearing clothes that look similar to the ones everyone wears does not make me 100% local. Know what I mean? As they say "You can take a man out of India, but you can't take India out of a man!". So the point is, when I am here and have some traits from back in India, there is a tendency that it shall not blend in well with the local scenario. This raises minor conflicts, sometimes.

Talk of Diversity is nice on paper, but in real life, things are different. Sometimes you feel that no one understands you and sometimes, you feel that you do not understand others. Anyone who says that his or life is 100% perfect is either extremely lucky, extremely rare or just plain lying!

But at the end of it all, I say this - be YOURSELF. No matter what it means to anyone else, be honest and true to yourself. Cos you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life.

At the same time, try to become a BETTER version of yourself, by upgrading your skills and abilities.

Gerry.

No comments: