More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orca
This is an interesting read. How a technological innovation that was supposed to be a "game changer" became a massive flop.
Here are some important lessons learnt, in my personal view:
- Test the technology before implementation
- Trust your core team and share vital info with core team
- Too much secrecy may not be a good thing
- Stress test apps to make sure that they do not crash
- Have a plan B
- Do trial runs and drills
- Keep the communication and trust with team members strong
- Don't fall for the hype - "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". One software or App can not win an election.
- People matter more than technology
- KISS: Keep It Simple and Stupid to the end users
- Orientation is important not only for programmers and volunteers, but also for App users
- Practice, practice, practice
- Do not live in a parallel universe.