Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Subject study : Breadth or Depth?

When I first started the program, I was a bit confused about the proper way to study the subjects. I used to spend a lot of time surfing the internet for related information. I used to spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos. Spend time fretting about the difficulty with friends. I used to try to refer multiple books. I did not know the proper way to study. In fact, information overload and disorganized study was killing me.

Study for marks or study for knowledge? Study for depth or study for width? Know something about everything or know everything about something? Lets face it, it is impossible to know everything about everything. Honestly, it is also impossible to everything about something :)

So I came to conclusion that time & task management is of essence. For now, it is important to complete the courses with good grades and with proper understanding. I shall always have time after the MBA or in between the terms, during the vacation days to try to attain depth of knowledge. It is important to prioritize. One can not do everything.

Here is my take on this matter:
 R + E + A + D = M
(Readings + Exercises + Assignments + Discussion = Marks )

R:
Class readings - hand outs
Text book reading
Class power point slides
Notes jotted down from lecture of Prof

E:
Exercises at the end of the chapter of the recommended text book
Online exercises from Lyryx & Connect database

A:
Assignments by Profs (whether with or without marks)
Tests conducted by Profs from time to time

D:
Discussion with classmates on topics, to get a different perspective and for more efficient study
Group study - just form your own study group !

fetch M: marks!

Just putting it out there in cyber space. Just my thought. :)

No comments: